Wednesday, October 15, 2014

S:S&S = Superbrothers: Sexual & Satisfying

Did this game



Cause this 


to you?


It didn't for me and here is why.  I don't use twitter and this game's nudgings to do so weren't strong enough.  

The game Swuperbwothers: Sword and Sworcery had a unique take on marketing by having a built in node one could tap to automatically tweet whatever was happening in the game to their twitter account.  To me it was more of a nuisance than anything else because I didn't care whether people knew I was playing the game or not.  Had there been a moment when I wanted everyone to know then it would have been another story....but apparently there wasn't. 

Aside from the lackluster attempt to get me to advertise for them, the developers behind S:S&S did deliver in one promise they made at the beginning of the game: good sound and jazzy music.  This Jim Guthrie fellow made some solid tunes throughout the game.  Particularly I liked the tunes the flowed After each I defeated and retrieved each Trigon, while I was in the dream world during a full moon, and when the Gogolithic Mass chased me.

The one aspect I was trying to explore while playing the game was the insatiable curiosity I had about how the entire dialog of the game reminded me of something a schmo would say while hanging with his other friend schmo.  There were modern colloquialisms, filler words, and then suddenly words that fit the context of the game.  After thinking about this for awhile I developed in my mind a voice that I imagined would speak this way in real life.  I imagined this voice would belong to someone who liked groups like Ben Folds Five, but also would watch episodes of Sesame Street simply because few people his age would do it.  A voice that grew up in the 90's with a tinge of modern hipster.  And then I heard this.  

ALL MY ASSUMPTIONS WERE VALIDATED!

That point aside, I also wondered if most artistic games share characteristics similar to conventional art in that if they reflect the personality of the designer then they will be much more popular (of course among people who find that personality type amiable). 

In the name of Buddha, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment